Right of Way Vegetation Control Program

Right of Way Vegetation Control Program

Properly maintained roadsides are important for the safely of motorists and pedestrians.

Pend Oreille County’s Right of Way Vegetation Control Program helps keep our roadways clear of obstructions, increases sight distance, reduces fire danger, optimizes storm water drainage, helps control noxious weeds and non-native plants, and promotes native plant growth.

During the spring and summer our road maintenance department mows the shoulders of the road, cuts brush, trims hazardous trees, and sprays environmentally friendly herbicide to keep weeds at bay (or roadside). Our crews also clear fallen trees and branches during, and following, inclement weather. An initial application of herbicides is typically sprayed in late spring and continues through summer. This is designed to combat weeds along the shoulders of the road but it does no damage to grass. Only federal and state approved herbicides are used.

Property owners who do not want roadsides adjacent to their properties sprayed can sign an “Owner Will Maintain” agreement with Pend Oreille County. Under this agreement, the property owner agrees to maintain the vegetation. You can find the necessary documents below. Please be sure to complete the ‘Owner Vegetation Management Agreement’, print it off, and bring it to the Pend Oreille County Public Works Department located at 625 W. 4th Street Newport, WA.

Our roadways need to be clear of vegetation and landscaping that obstructs the views of motorists and pedestrians. They also need to be clear of obstructions that impede or impair the maintenance of our roadways.

If you are landscaping near the edge of a county road, please be aware of the right-of-way. Landscaping should not encroach into ditches, shoulders, or the travel way. These right-of-ways allow access for the public, the county, and your public utilities to complete their jobs in a safe manner. If you are unsure where your right-of-way is located, you may contact us at (509)-447-4513.