Pend Oreille County - Current Codes
Building Code and Energy Code forms in Pend Oreille County are current to 2018 code.
Site Evaluation Applications
A Site Evaluation Application should be completed prior to ANY form of building and/or land use development. This includes:
- ALL building, even if it does not require a building permit.
- ANY form of land use application submittal.
If you need assistance with your map, please use our public Site Planner, a research tool allowing users to see how property may be impacted by Pend Oreille County land use and development regulations.
Building Permitting Information
You should inquire about a building permit if the improvement to a property is structural. The following are examples:
- Constructing a new home, garage, shop, or placing a manufactured home.
- Additions and Remodels that would alter the structure of the house or increase the building footprint.
- Adding an HVAC system or heating source such as a propane tank, mini-split, fire place, etc.
- Change of use/occupancy type of a structure (this usually refers to the conversion of non-residential structure into a residential one)
- Some more examples include: Structural sheathing, foundation work, truss repair, adding rooms such as bedrooms and bathrooms.
When do I not need a building permit?
As of January 1st, 2016, one-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, and similar uses, provided the floor area (outside line of framing) does not exceed 600 sq. ft. including any decks or porches that are stand-alone, will not require a building permit; however, a Site Evaluation Application is required to be completed. These structures must still be built to code but only require that their placement be approved through a Site Evaluation Application.
From Application to Completion:
The issuance of a permit is a multi-stage process.
- Before beginning any work such as grading or having blueprints drawn, it is important to fill out a Site Evaluation Application. This form will require a line drawing of the site where the improvements or changes are happening. An example is given in the packet of which dimensions will need to be shown. The purpose of this form is to see that proposed development meets the required setbacks set forth by the County Development Regulations. An unapproved Site Evaluation cannot be turned in at the same time as any other application type.
- The Site Evaluation will either need to be modified (if it would be in violation of code), or it will be approved. Once approved, the applicant will be notified, and from there they can apply for the application of choice. The application of choice will require information about the project be filled out completely, as well as a number of items to be turned in with the application. Examples of information needed are located in the applications checklist.
- Permit applications will not be reviewed until they are complete, meaning that they must have all required information found in the permit applications checklist before being accepted. Once approved, the permit will be issued after all fees have been paid. (See Building Fee Schedule here).
- The Site Evaluation review is a two-week process, and all other completed permit applications are a two-week review process as well. This is dependent on all applications being completed when submitted.
- View Pend Oreille County’s “How to Schedule a Building Permit Inspection”
Building Permit Applications
- Building Permit Fee Schedule: The fees associated with different types of projects can be found here.
- Site Evaluation Application: The Site Evaluation Application is required to be completed prior to ANY building and/or land use development. A scaled sketch of the parcel where improvement is occurring. This evaluation will ask you to show spatial relationships of different features (proposed and existing) of the parcel.
- Commercial Building Permit Application: Application for commercial or multi-family building projects. 2018 Energy and Building Code.
- Residential Building Permit Application: Application for the permitting of residential building projects except for those related to manufactured homes and pole buildings. 2018 Energy and Building Code.
- Manufactured Home Permit Application: A separate application form specifically for manufactured homes. Floodplain information:
- Pole Building Permit Application: This application is for the permitting of pole buildings. 2018 Energy and Building Code.
- Fireplace/Mechanical Permit: HVAC Work, Propane, Fireplace/Wood Stoves
- Landowner/Agent Consent Form
- Pend Oreille County Development Regulations: Looking for snow load requirements? setbacks? The development regulations detail what is allowable for development in a number of different scenarios.
- Geographic Design Criteria