Name Change

Don’t forget to change your name…

Name changes do not happen automatically upon marriage.

You will need to contact each entity individually to inform them of your new name. Some agencies will require you to provide them with a certified copy of your marriage certificate, available at the county in which the marriage license was obtained. Those who apply for their license in Pend Oreille County have the option to prepay $3.00 to have a certified copy mailed to them after the ceremony. Once the marriage officiant returns the completed paperwork, we certify and mail a copy of the recorded certificate. Please note that the officiant has 30 days to return the signed paperwork to the recording department.

Here is a list of key places you may need to inform of your new name:

Social Security Administration
Spokane Office
714 N Ironbridge Way #100
Spokane, WA 99202
Phone: (800) 772-1213
Hours: Open today 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Web Site:
Note: The SSA notifies the IRS of name changes

Drivers License:
1600 W 1st Street
Newport WA 99156
(509) 447-5532
Note: Open on Wednesdays only

Vehicle Title:
Pend Oreille County Department of Licensing
625 W 4th Street, Newport WA
Note: you will need to bring in your title to update your name, a new title will then be issued to you.

To update your Voter Registration & keep your signature up to date:
Pend Oreille County Elections
(509) 447-6472
elections [at]

Or, download, complete & mail a form from Washington Secretary of State-Elections

Or, visit MyVote (this can be done after you change your drivers license)

Banks or other institutions that you have financial accounts with:

  • Credit cards & other credit accounts
  • Stock certificates & other investments
  • Insurance of all kinds: medical, life, auto, home