Pend Oreille County is a great place to live, work, and play!
Pend Oreille Country is located in Northeastern Washington, on the border of Northern Idaho and Canada, with Newport, Washington being the County seat. We are just miles from major cities such as Spokane, Washington and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. We offer rural living, fantastic recreational opportunities, and beautiful scenery.
Open Position: Deputy II Accountant
Full Wage Range: $3,433.81 - $4,335.35 per month
Hiring Range: $3,433.81 to $3,860.79 per Month DOQ (37.5 hours per week)
Benefits include: Eligibility for allocation toward medical, dental & vision insurance, HRA VEBA and/or HSA, PERS retirement plan options, life insurance, long-term disability, paid holidays, paid vacation, and paid sick leave, time-based step increases. Paid twice per month on the 10th and the 25th of each month.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs accounting duties such as processing payments; posting and balancing entries; compiling, inputting and/or importing data to prepare and maintain financial records and reports based on established procedures. Emphasis placed on maintaining, auditing, and balancing financial records and preparing related reports in specific areas such as warrants, tax payments, and revenue collections. Assistance provided to others regarding daily and monthly balancing and general office work. Works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. This is a non-exempt, union position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Cash handling responsibilities include but not limited to receipting of revenues, bank transfers, daily cash balancing, bank deposit preparation, and maintaining financial records pertaining to same.
- Create redeemed warrant files when received from the bank. Pay for the redeemed warrants daily.
- Processes mail and related correspondence. Assist with returned mail, search for taxpayers and mail tax statements.
- Types and composes letters and accurate numerical reports.
- Provides back up support to other positions in office in case of work overload, including but not limited to cashiering, customer service in office, by phone and mail, investment auditing, and cashbook balancing.
- Knowledge of remit, bond, and investment process. Assists with input and balancing of same.
- Responsible for import and balancing of issued warrants, verification of numerical sequence and amounts issued are as stated, as well as monthly balancing of all warrant transactions.
- Knowledge of all aspects of the warrant system (issued, redeemed, outstanding) and import process.
- Be familiar with the daily reconciliation of cashbook, with PC input of cashbook and financial statement.
- Monthly bank statements balancing and reconciliation.
- Maintains accounting records by auditing, balancing, and posting data in computerized and manual systems. Identifies and resolves discrepancies in accordance with established procedures.
- Issue Mobile Home Moving Permits to include providing information on location of the mobile home, both before and after the move, obtain current address, notify new County Assessor’s Office, provide a copy to our Assessor’s Office, collect advance tax (if applicable), and prove taxes are paid before permit is issued.
- Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavits to include thoroughly reviewing the completion of the excise tax affidavit and legal document that is presented for processing. Ensures that required back-up documents are received per state laws and that correct WAC Codes are appropriately used, according to the Washington State Department of Revenue guidelines pertaining to excise tax. Calculates excise tax on affidavits to confirm the correct amount of excise tax to be collected.
- Input REET Affidavits into our Tax Billing Software Program. Responsible for final auditing and approval of REET processing, including monthly balancing.
- Will be cross trained as a back-up for the Deputy I and Deputy III positions if there is an absence.
- Knowledge of preparation of weekly financial report of current expense for the County Commissioners.
- Knowledge of Washington State’s Budgeting, Accounting, Reporting Systems (BARS) prescribed by the Washington State Auditor, state, federal, and local laws pertaining to workflow in the Treasurer’s office.
- Knowledge of supplements and all aspects of adjustments (additions/cancellations) to tax rolls. Assists with adjustment process and related correspondence.
- Assists with foreclosures and bankruptcies as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned by Treasurer to maintain internal controls and even workflow within the department.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Three years responsible clerical experience with accounting background.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and database software.
- Ten-key by touch and accurate typing skills.
- Excellent public relation skills.
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a team and independently to better service the public.
- Ability to read, speak, and write the English language.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalent. Three years’ experience in an office environment and cash handling experience or other work experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the functions of this position. Technical or education training in a related subject matter may be substituted for the required work experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Must successfully pass a background check, credit check, a driving record check, pre-employment physical and a drug test, and be bondable.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Work is performed in an office setting with periods of standing, sitting and kneeling. Hand-eye coordination and fine manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and various office machines. Physical ability to perform required duties is necessary, including occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds. This position requires ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies and procedures. Regular and punctual attendance is required. Because of the nature of this position, duties must be performed during regular hours within the department (no telecommuting).