** If you have any technical difficulties with our online application submission, you can send your resume and attachments to HR [at] pendoreille.org. **
Full Wage Range: $19.69 to $24.87 per hour
Hiring Range: $19.69 to 22.13 per hour DOQ
JOB SUMMARY: Performs duties of cashier, customer service, clerical work, and general office assistance in the Treasurer’s Office. Requires computer literacy with proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, knowledge of established office procedures, understanding of cash handling and basic accounting practices. Work is performed under direct supervision and works cooperatively and effectively with the public and other employees. Must successfully pass a background check, credit check, a driving record check, and be bondable.
- Greet and assist the public by phone, in office, and by mail in a courteous and professional manner.
- Process mail and related correspondence as well as provide secretarial support to other staff members as needed.
- Cash handling responsibilities include but are not limited to receipt of revenues, bank transfers, daily cash balancing, bank deposit preparation, and maintaining financial records pertaining to same.
- Types and composes letters and accurate numerical reports.
- Update tax program with any new taxpayers that signed up for paperless billing.
- Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavits to include thoroughly reviewing the completion of the excise tax affidavit and legal document that is presented for processing. Ensures that required back-up documents are received per state law and that correct WAC Codes are appropriately used, according to the Washington State Department of Revenue guidelines pertaining to excise tax. Calculates excise tax on affidavits to confirm the correct amount of excise tax to be collected.
- Input Excise Affidavit information into the excise spreadsheets.
- Issue Mobile Home Moving Permits to include providing information on location of the mobile home, both before and after the move, obtain current address, notify new County Assessor’s office, provide copy to our Assessor’s office, collect advance tax (if applicable), and prove taxes are paid before permit is issued.
- Responsible for importing redeemed warrants into financial software program.
- May be cross trained as a back-up for other positions within the Treasurer’s office.
- Knowledge of Washington State’s Budgeting, Accounting, and Reporting Systems (BARS) prescribed by the Washington State Auditor for the processing of revenues.
- Knowledge of state, federal, and local laws pertaining to internal controls and cash handling policies.
- Assists with foreclosures and bankruptcies as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Treasurer to maintain internal controls and even workflow within the department.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- At least two years responsible clerical and cash handling experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and database software.
- Ten-key by touch and accurate cashiering skills.
- Excellent public relation skills.
- Ability to read, speak, and write the English language.
- Ability to work as a team and independently to better service the public.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalent. Two years’ experience in an office environment and cash handling experience or other work experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the functions of this position. Technical or education training in a related subject matter may be substituted for the required work experience.