Pend Oreille County has 3 Transfer Stations conveniently located in the County:
NEW RATES ON MARCH 1, 2014; more details at right under TRANSFER STATION RATES>>>
Only CASH & CHECKS payable to Sunshine Disposal are accepted.
1. South County Station is west of Newport off Highway 2 and Gray Road. They are open 8am-4pm Thursday through Monday; and closed Tuesday and Wednesday, 509-447-4513 or 509-447-3054.
2. Central County Station is off Highway 211 at Jared Road near Usk. They are open from 8am-4pm only on Wednesday and Saturday, 509-447-4513 or 509-445-0222.
3. North County Station is east of Ione located at 1712 Sullivan Lake Road. They are open from 8am-4pm only on Wednesday and Saturday, 509-447-4513 or 509-442-3051.
See more transfer station details, directions and rates at right>>>>
Pend Oreille County has 2 private garbage pickup and dumpster hauling companies:
1. The south end (from the Spokane County line up to Blue Slide-about 20 miles north of Cusick) is serviced by Excess Disposal, telephone #208-437-4502.
2. The north end (from the Canadian border down to Tiger- about 5 miles south of Ione) is serviced by Gary's Garbage Service, telephone #509-442-3567.
There currently is no curbside pickup of recyclables but recyclables (and household hazardous wastes) can be dropped off at each transfer station. (See right hand column for more information on recycling and household hazardous wastes). Pend Oreille County's 3 transfer stations are also collection sites for Washington's Electronics E-Cycle. (Click here to see the E-cycle brochure)
Pend Oreille County Solid Waste
PO Box 5041, 625 W. 4th St. Newport, WA 99156
TELEPHONE: 509-447-4513 email Solid Waste
Solid Waste Administration:
Sam Castro, Public Works Director Beth Gillespie, SW Coordinator 509-447-6458
Allen DenAdel, Hazardous Waste/Recycling Coordinator 509-671-6147
Sunshine Disposal & Recycling, On-Site Transfer Station Operators (click here for Sunshine Disposal website)
All Pend Oreille County garbage is loaded into 53 foot containers at the South County Transfer Station which are then trucked to the Yardley Intermodal Railhead facilty in Spokane. The containers are transported by Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad (BNSF) trains, up to a mile long, south to the Roosevelt Regional Landfill in Klickitat County, Washington. (See Roosevelt Landfill Seattle Times article at right)