County Services » Auditor » Marriage Licensing

Marriage Licensing

Office Hours

Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Excluding Holidays
Please arrive in our office no later than 4:15 PM to allow sufficient time to process your application.


Pend Oreille County Courthouse
2nd Floor, Auditor's Office
625 W 4th Street
Newport, WA 999156

Mailing Address

Pend Oreille County Courthouse
PO Box 5015
Newport, WA 99156

Contact Numbers

  • Information Phone: (509) 447-6473 
  • Fax: (509) 447-2475  


The fee is $47.00, cash or check only. The certified copy fee is $3.00, for a total of $50.00. 

Application Instructions

Please be prepared to provide a current picture ID such as a Driver's License, State issued ID card, Military ID, or a Passport.  Both parties must supply information about their parents: Name of mother and father; state or country (if born outside the United States); the maiden name of the bride's mother and the maiden name of the groom's mother.  Special care should be made to provide the correct spelling of names.  
The marriage license will be given to the parties upon application.  The ceremony must occur in the State of Washington and be performed between 3 and 60 days of issuance.  The 3 day waiting period cannot be waived.  The person performing the ceremony must be a judge, a retired judge, or an ordained minister. 

Same Gender Marriage

With the passage of Referendum 74, same gender couples will be able to apply for marriage licenses beginning on Thursday, December 6, 2012.  The Auditor's Office staff can only answer quetsions related to the marriage application process.  We cannot answer questions related to the effects of marriage, such as legal name change, impact on benefits or recognition in other states.  Legal Voice, a nonprofit entity, has developed a series of questions and answers that may be useful to same gender couples. FAQ for Same Gender Couples by Legal Voice

Domestic Partnership Conversion

Please refer to the Office of the Secretary of State website or Washington State Department of Health's website for more information on domestic partnerships converting to marriage .

Age Requirements

The legal age for both the bride and groom is 18 years old.  Witnesses or blood tests are not required to obtain a marriage license in the State of Washington.  If the applicant(s) are 17 years old they must each be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to sign the marriage application granting consent.  The parent must have the authority to consent to marriage.  Legal guardians must provide an original or a certified copy of the legal guardianship documents.

 Certified Copies

To obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate by mail, you will need to send a check payable to the Pend Oreille County Auditor along with the brides name at the time of application, the grooms name and the date of the marriage.  A certified copy of the marriage certificate is $3.00.  Our marriage records can also be accessed at the Washington State Digital Archives or in our office

 Same Sex Marriage information available on the Washington State Government website. 




Marriage Licensing Calendar

July 2015

      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
« August »


Website by Spokane Web Communications
Print Page | Site Map | My Account | Home