County Services » Community Development » Building


Pend Oreille County Building Department

How are building permits processed?

  • A complete building permit application packet is submitted over the counter along with initial plan check fee
  • The Natural Resource Planner will review the site plan for potential impacts to Critical Areas and proper setbacks
  • The Building Official will review the structural plans
  • The Administrative Assistant will call when the buildling permit is ready to be issued and the permit fee to be paid 

How long does it take to process a building permit application?

  • It typically takes less than 10 business days to process an application
  • A few of the reasons a building permit may take longer to issue are:
    • Application page contains the incomplete information (i.e. address)
    • More information is required due to potential impacts to Critical Areas
    • Structural plans do not meet current code requirements

What are the required structured setbacks?

  • Front Property line: 25.0'
  • Side and Back property line: 5' for the first 25.0' building height, plus one additional foot for each foot of building height over 25.0'. A guidance handout is located below.
  • Road Right of Way: 25.0'
  • Private easements: No setback required by the County
  • Utility easemets: No setback required by the County, but you must consult with the proper utility company.
  • Critical areas (wetlands, streams, rivers, lakes): Variable setback, contact the Natural Resource Planner at (509) 447-4821 or .

What building codes does Pend Oreille County follow?

  • 2012 International Building Code 
  • 2012 International Residential Code for 1 and 2 Family Dwellings
  • 2012 International Fire Code
  • 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
  • Washington State Energy Code
  • ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003 (Accessible and Usable Building and Facilities)

Building Permit Application Packets (will be available again soon)
Residential Building Permit
Manufacture/Mobile Home Permit
Modular Home Permit
Framed Garage Permit
Pole Building Permit
HVAC/Mechanical/Fireplace Permit
Commercial Building Permit

Automatic Clothes Washer
Bathroom Double Sink
Kitchen Island Sink
Unvented Attic Factsheet
Propane Tanks Setbacks
Flood Damage Resistant Materials Requirements

Building Official/ Fire Mashall

Rick Cruse

Office: 509-447-6463

Fax: 509-447-5890



Website by Spokane Web Communications
Print Page | Site Map | My Account | Home